BestNaijaBlog

Home Of Entertainment

Work Begins On River Niger 2nd Bridge

Work has finally begun for the construction of the controversial 2nd Niger Bridge that would link the South –South and the South East geo political zones to support the existing one.

The minister of labour and employment, Senator Chris Ngige said thiis in a television programme in Onitsha, that the federal executive council had approved N14 billion to enable Julius , the contractor handling the project, to commence work, Saturday Vanguard visited the site and found out that there were serious signs that work would begin in earnest.

The bridge had been enmeshed in politics over the years such that it had remained on the drawing board for a period that spanned several administrations.

Ngige had said during the television interview that in addition to the N14 billion, the federal government would release another N16 billion this year for the construction of the bridge, adding that the amount was accommodated in the 2017 budget.

“This is a project that previous administrations played politics with and the present administration under President Muhammadu Buhari has decided to ensure its realization. Our people should not allow the issue of compensation to hinder the construction work because of its enormous benefits to the people,” the minister said. He said that apart from the 2nd Niger Bridge, work had also started on the Enugu-Onitsha and Nnewi- Okigwe federal highways, as well as the Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt expressway.

You May Also Like This

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BestNaijaBlog © 2016 Contact us
Web Design BangladeshWeb Design BangladeshMymensingh