First-day jitters are not the exclusive domain of students. Teachers also worry about what to wear, how to act, how to make a good first impression, and how the school year will turn out. If you are a fresh face on the teaching scene — or even if you’re just looking for new ways to hone your teaching skills — the following resources will help you get going.
Building Relationships With Students, Parents, and Others
Building solid relationships with your students and their parents can help you adjust your teaching methods so that learning can be more personalized for your pupils. These resources will give you tips and ideas on how to forge those important bonds.
- Back in August 2014, Edudemic published an article that served up five essential back-to-school relationship building tips for new teachers. One of your relationships should be with a mentor, whether that is an experienced coworker at your school or a mentor whom you find online.
- What ingredients go into positive student-teacher relationships? In this resource, Phyllis Ohr, a teachers’ consultant and school psychologist, lists the elements of such relationships using “POSITIVE RELATIONSHIPS” as an acronym. A few parts of the acronym stand for praise, openness, support, and interest.
- Teachingthecore.com describes four keys to an impactful teaching career, one of which is the ability to get along with parents, administrators, and school support staff. The 14 tips that follow include things like assuming that administrators have positive motives and keeping in touch with parents via email.
- Much of a child’s education takes place at home, but you can impact even that aspect of your students’ learning if you keep in touch with parents. This article from teachercreated.com offers five ways you can connect with parents, such as by inviting parents to the classroom and making an effort to remember their names and faces.
- All workplaces — including schools — have a mishmash of personalities that may present a challenge to those who are new to the environment. Tweakyourbiz.com is not
- A website that focuses on education, but the pointers that they give on how to get along with all your coworkers may prove invaluable.
Managing Your Classroom
Managing students’ behavior is a challenge whether it is your first day on the job or your last. These resources may help you keep the classroom environment on the calm side of chaos.
- What kind of rules do you need in your classroom? Setting out behavioral expectations may be easier if you think of rules in categories. Edutopia discusses the five categories of rules, which include academic, social, procedural, cultural, and personal rules. Considering these may help you craft an effective set of behavioral guidelines for your classroom.
- If you have written a reasonable set of rules but still find that the atmosphere in your classroom is a little wilder than you would prefer, try these tweaks from Smart Classroom Management. Many involve making small changes to your behavior — and even to the way that you think — to influence the way that your students act.
- Top Notch Teaching provides an easy-to-scan article that gives lists of simple suggestions that you can use to take charge of an unruly class. The ideas include doing things like varying your lessons to keep students interested, getting to know your students, and fairly and consistently applying the rules.
Planning Your Lessons
The ability to plan effective lessons will benefit you for your entire teaching career; it will save you from the stress of not knowing how to approach a subject. These resources will help you transfer information from pages and devices to students’ brains.
- This well-organized list from discoveryeducation.com gives links to free teacher resources. The list has material for different grade levels and subjects. The resources include things like lesson plans, games, and worksheets.
- Teachers are crunched for time, and you may find it difficult to slide in opportunities for your students to go beyond learning the facts to using their creative abilities. This list gives 40 ideas you can use to incorporate creativity into everyday lessons; the list is organized by grade level and contains links that show examples of the suggested ideas.
- This list from webanywhere.us directs you toward some of the best resources for free lesson plans. The list contains such reputable sources as Education World, Kids Discover, and Lesson Planet.
Other Resources to Help You Start on the Right Foot
You might be fresh out of college, but standards in education change so quickly that you still have to put forth effort to keep up. How can you do that? How can you manage stress at work, and how can you prepare for the new school year? These resources will help.
- New Teacher 911 from Middleweb.com is a treasure trove of handy information for new middle-grade teachers. The links on this page will help you with classroom management and relationship building, among other things.
- The National Education Association provides lesson plans as well as information about school life, classroom management, and teaching strategies. The website also addresses the politics of education; it has sections that focus on things like Common Core standards and college affordability.
- Making the mental switch from summer vacation to the new school year presents a challenge. This article from “The Guardian” gives pointers on how you can prepare yourself to dive into your classroom routine without feeling overwhelmed. The advice is not geared specifically for new teachers, but the principles still apply.
- The American Psychological Association offers tips on how to cope with stress at work. The information here can help you identify your main stressors and deal effectively with them as you settle into your new career.
Teaching comes with profound personal rewards, but starting any new job is a challenge. The above resources will help you put your career on the right path from the get-go.
You May Also Like This
BBnaija: Efe Wins Not By God’s Grace As It Is ‘Immoral’– Evangelist Mike Bamiloye
Founder of Mount Zion Ministries, Evangelist Mike Bamiloye, has cautioned pastors against making reference to ...read more
Read This As Soon As Possible! It Is Being Deleted From Everywhere Because It Is More Efficient Than Any Medicine!
The drink we are presenting you today is one of the most beneficial and effective ...read more
Calling All Educators: What Do You Care About?
Calling on all teachers, administrators, and education specialists! We want to hear from you! To ensure ...read more
Is Technology Holding Students Back?
Is technology a panacea or a plague in the classroom? The honest answer is “neither”, ...read more
Which Learning Style Works For You?
It wouldn’t come as a shock for most teachers to hear that the way students ...read more
I Will Teach Girls How To Prevent Early Pregnancy– Stephanie Okereke-Linus
Multiple award winning Producer and actress, Stephanie Linus-Okereke, has vowed to provide teenage girls with ...read more
Don’t Weep for Public Education Just Yet!
Betsy DeVos’ nomination and confirmation as the Trump administration’s Secretary of Education have been a ...read more
Teaching Students Good Digital Citizenship
Teachers have long understood the importance of instilling good citizenship in their students, focusing on ...read more
RECIPE!! Okra Water Cures Diabetes, Asthma, Cholesterol And Kidney Diseases. Here Is How To Prepare It At Home!!
The name okra is most often used in the UK, United States and the Philippines, ...read more
Primary School Pupils Arrested For Not Doing Their Home Works in Enugu
Sometimes, you just can’t believe what happens in this country. We have seen a lot ...read more
LADIES!!! Watch Natural Ways To Tighten Your Va gina Without Any Surgery Or Drug
How to tighten your vagina: There are many people who believe that it’s possible that, ...read more
Podcasts and the Classroom
Chances are, even if you’ve never listened to a podcast before, you’ve heard about one. ...read more
5 Innovative Mind-Mapping Tools For Education
What do you do when you have an elaborate project, assignment, or paper that needs ...read more
1,000 Education Apps Organized By Subject & Price
Sure, there are plenty of apps you can use in education. There are even apps ...read more
Bringing Art Back With Technology
With continued budget cuts, a greater focus on math and reading education, and an enduring ...read more
The Pros and Cons of Technology
Using technology in the classroom is one of those issues that makes it easy to ...read more
Head of the Class: 2016’s Top Technology
Like your students, educational technology is constantly evolving. The best digital resources–including apps, websites, video, ...read more
President Trump’s Education Agenda
When it comes to education, president-elect Donald Trump divulged few details regarding his plans for ...read more
What is ‘School Choice’?
As president-elect Donald Trump continues to unveil plans for his presidency, many Americans brace themselves ...read more
The One Present I Wish Parents Would Give My Students
The gifts that change your life are the ones you didn’t know you wanted in ...read more
Pastor Mike Bamiloye Blasts Other Pastors for Bringing Comedians To The Altar (Full Text)
Popular Christian drama veteran, Mike Bamiloye, of the Mount Zion Film Ministries, has unleashed a ...read more
How Do We Teach Kids to Use Smartphones Safely?
Most students use smartphones with unfiltered access to the Internet. Even worse, many students have ...read more
How Does Social Media Slang Affect Learning?
The Use of Slang The term “slang” refers to any word or phrase used in informal ...read more
Cool Cat Teacher’s Gift List 2016 Edition
If you’ve ever struggled to buy presents like I do, you probably ask people what ...read more
How to Use Chromebooks in the Classroom
Internet-connected devices have become an indispensable part of the modern classroom, and an ever-growing number ...read more
4 Key Factors for Fantastic Formative Assessment
Too many times the research is completely disconnected from the classroom. But in today’s show, ...read more
How Do I Help My Substitute Teacher Make Progress with My Students?
eacher, there are times many of us will substitute for our peers. Substitutes are fantastic ...read more
iBooks 2 and iTunes U: A Quick Review from a Teacher #edapp
The world is buzzing with the Apple announcements about their move into eTextbooks. As I ...read more
How to Talk to Kids about Terrorism, Politics, and Unrest in the World Today
Scary things happen. Kids can be traumatized by news media, for example. (I’ve interviewed Dr. Steven ...read more
5 Ways to Resolve Social Media Misunderstandings and a conversation with @swpax
Misunderstandings happen. They happen on Twitter. They happen on Facebook. They happen in our lives. CASE ...read more